Saturday, September 15, 2007

Catching up with Heroes

My wife and I both missed the boat on watching Heroes while it was going on last season, but with all my friends here at SnaggleTruth talking about it, I decided that we should give it a try once it hit DVD. That time has come and in the past week, we've watched the first 18 episodes of the series. We're both hooked and were so after about 3 episodes. The writing is great and gives an excellent story to follow and guess at. I can now see why Heroes was being talked about way more than LOST.

I got a suggestion from a couple of others here at SnaggleTruth to write down my predictions and observations from my first watching of the first season since I have no idea what's going to happen or anything like that. I thought that was a good idea, so I'm going to run with it.

Up till this point, I've gotten a few things right after some clues where left around. At first, the show wants to make you think Mr. Bennett is Sylar, but I recognized he wasn't ( even before the Sylar reveal ) because when he took in "special" people, he sent them back home and didn't, you know, chop the top of their heads off and eat their brains. I also noticed pretty quickly that Peter's power was to absorb the power of those around him without that nasty need to eat their brain.

The most stunning 2 reveals for me were that Nathan is Claire's father and when Hiro stops time to give Peter the "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World" message on the Subway. That scene was awesome and also ended an episode! So we had to watch the next one.

The last episode we watched last night was our first actual view of Linderman, Claire's dad has had his memory messed with, but at the same time, the Company knows that he might now where Claire is after using the shape-shifter ( which I called her power when a now alive Simone walked through the door ).

Questions remaining:

Why is that the only name Mr. Bennett has is Mr. Bennett? Even when they reveal his license, it just says "Bennett" on the name line. Also, the writers made a point of pointing it out when Sylar asks Mrs. Bennett "when she expects Mr. Bennett home?" and her reply is "You all call him that? I just knew him as..." and something interrupts her. Very strange.

Did saving the cheerleader from Sylar at Homecoming save the world? I don't think so, I think she needs further saving. I think Isaac was painting the future we saw play out and that there's something else that she needs to be saved from. Maybe the Company?

Who is The Company? Who runs it from the top? My guess here is Linderman, but for what purposes, I don't know.

Can Hiro use his power to change the future by making changes in the past? The show has gone to a couple of great lengths to show us so far Hiro hasn't been able to make any changes. I'm guessing that the answer here is "maybe".

Will they be able to stop Peter from blowing up? And what ultimately makes him blow up? He's currently training to learn to control his powers, so I'm wondering what might go wrong.

So now, I'm going to try and post after each episode my changing thoughts and questions.

No comments: